GPRS Full Form is General Packet Radio Service. GPRS may be a packet-oriented mobile data standard on the 2G and 3G cellular communication network’s global system for mobile communications (GSM).
Also Read: CPU Full Form
History of GPRS:
- GPRS introduced within the year 2000 as a packet-switched data service incorporated into the channel switched cellular radio network GSM. GPRS extends the reach of the Fixed Internet by connecting mobile terminals everywhere the planet.
- The CELLPAC protocol establishes in 1991-1993 was the first trigger for beginning in 1993 configuration of ordinary GPRS by ETSI SMG. especially, the CELLPAC Voice & Data functions introduce during a 1993 ETSI Workshop dedication anticipate what later became referred to as GPRS roots.
- The workshop input cited in 22 GPRS-related US-Patents. Successor systems to GSM / GPRS like W-CDMA (UMTS) and LTE, as implemented by CELLPAC, depend upon critical GPRS operations for mobile Internet access.
- As per research on the history of GPRS growth, the inventors of GPRS are Bernhard Walke and his student Peter Decker, the primary to form the system access to mobile internet globally.
GPRS: General Packet Radio Service:
GPRS stands for General Packet Radio Service. It’s a packet-oriented wireless digital communication service for mobile communications on 2G and 3G cellular communication systems. It’s non-voice, high-speed packet switching technology intended for GSM networks. It supported a modulation technique called Gaussian minimum-shift keying (GMSK). To enable GPRS on a GSM or TDMA network, we required to feature two core modules: the Gateway GPRS Service Node (GGSN) and therefore the Serving GPRS Service Node (SGSN).
What GPRS does:
GPRS are often wont to provide connections on the idea of internet protocols that support a good sort of enterprises also as commercial applications. GPRS Full Form is General Packet Radio Service.
Benefits of GPRS:
- It provides higher data transfer speed than fixed telecommunication networks. Its optimum speed is 171.2 kbps, almost 3 times quicker than fixed-telecommunication speed.
- It provides instant connection and immediate data transfer.
- It is very cost-effective.
- So it has innovative and superior applications. It provides internet applications over mobile and also facilitates Web browsing, IM messages, E-commerce etc.
- In comparison to fixed telecommunication networks, it gives higher data transfer speed. Its prime speed is 171.2 kbps, which is almost thrice than fixed-telecommunication speed in rapidness.
- It gives quick immediate connection and instant data transfer.
- It is very effective within the matter of cost.
- So it has original and higher-level applications. It gives applications of the web over mobile and also makes easier Web browsing, IM messages, E-commerce, etc.
- It enables a user to attach to the web even when the supply of other services like 3G or HSDPA isn’t there.
- In case of mobility, any location from where there’s a network signal available, GPRS gives wireless access to the web.
- It enables the concurrent use of both voice and data services. Therefore, a user can have both voice call and data out in equivalent time. So Data call alludes to the utilization of the web by browsing or downloading or uploading data.
- As stated within the GSM standard, GPRS reuses almost identical air interfaces like TDMA/FDMA, Bursts, frame structure. So it makes use of normal burst and access burst stated by GSM.
- Single 52 frame multi-frame for both traffic and signalling frame structure employe by GPRS which is different from GSM’s dual structure of 26-frame multi-frame for traffic and 51-frame multi-frame for signalling. GPRS Full Form is General Packet Radio Service.
What needed to use GPRS?
- An application with a GPRS modem
- A GSM/GPRS network
- A SIM card with GPRS service
- A remote station with access to the web or the GPRS network
Note: Newer technologies like EDGE and 3G are much faster than GPRS.
GPRS taken into account 2.5G technology because it’s more advanced than standard 2G digital technology but doesn’t meet the wants of 3G technology. It operates supported the modulation technique which additionally called Gaussian minimum-shift keying (GMSK). to permit GPRS on a GSM or TDMA network, we’d like to place in two core modules which are,
- The Gateway GPRS Service Node (GGSN)
- The Serving GPRS Service Node (SGSN)
Requirements to use GPRS:
Due to the more advanced infrastructure than traditional 2 G wireless technology, GPRS was taken into account as 2.5 G technology, but it doesn’t satisfy the necessity for 3 G developments.
- A service that has a GPRS modem.
- A network of GSM / GPRS.
- A GPRS-aided SIM card.
- A remote location that has internet connectivity or a GPRS network.